What Do Probate Lawyers Do?
What Do Probate Lawyers in Chandler, AZ Do?
What Is a Probate Lawyer?
Probate lawyers are attorneys who help settle the affairs of the deceased or the decedent. They may also be called an estate planning attorney. This means they can also draft and advise clients on wills and living trusts, powers of attorney, living wills, HIPAA waivers and more.
What Do Probate Lawyers Do?
Probate lawyers guide beneficiaries and executors through the probate process. This process depends on the specifics of the decedent’s estate. Common factors that affect the probate process include the value of the assets and the presence of a Last Will and Testament. Most people believe that having a Last Will and Testament makes the Probate process more straight forward, which is not necessarily through.
It’s important for any probate lawyer to be familiar with the legal proceedings in your specific state. For example, Probate in Arizona will have specific requirements and practices that differ from the surrounding states.
Though the actions of a probate lawyer depend on the estate, there are a few common ways they will help:
- Collecting and managing proceeds from life insurance
- Handling the appraisal of the decedent’s property
- Identifying and securing the decedent’s assets
- Offering advice on paying off the decedent’s bills and debts
- Preparing documents for probate court
- Determining the need to pay estate or inheritance taxes
- Resolving issues with income taxes
- Managing the checking account connected to the estate
- Transferring assets to beneficiaries as needed
The services and expertise a probate lawyer provides can be a major help to beneficiaries and executors.
Do I Need a Probate Lawyer?
Probate is not necessary for all estates. In cases in which all of the decedent’s assets are housed in a trust, for example, probate often isn’t needed.
However, when the probate process is complicated by a few factors, a lawyer can help:
- The decedent’s will is invalid
- The decedent has not written a will
- There are no beneficiaries
- Beneficiaries want to contest the will
- There’s not enough money to pay legitimate debts
- There are complicated assets like businesses or commercial property
In these cases or in cases with other complicating factors, partnering with an attorney can help shed light on the best path forward. If you’re unsure whether or not you need a probate lawyer, scheduling a free consultation can help.
Partner With the Probate Lawyers Chandler Residents Trust
If you’re ready to find an expert to help you through the trying probate process, it’s time to find the right firm. Instead of searching for “probate lawyers near me,” partner with the probate lawyers Chandler residents trust to get results.
Our team at Citadel Law Firm offers free consultations to help you decide whether we’re a good match for your needs. Schedule yours today to get started, we offer you a free consultation so you can be sure we are the right attorney for your without any costs. Our Estate Planning Attorneys in Chandler will be pleased to help you.